Issue and extension of the residence permit

If you would like to apply for the first-time granting or renewal of a residence permit for a preparatory language course or study, please make an appointment in the hochschulservice of the foreigners office - in good time before your entry visa or residence permit expires.

You can request an appointment by email below hochschulservice(at)

Please send the specified documents at the latest seven days before the appointment by e-mail to hochschulservice(at) or by post to Foreigners office - Hochschulservice, Pferdemarkt 14 and bring them in original to the agreed appointment unconditionally:

  • certificate of your health insurance
  • proof of how your living in Germany is guaranteed (blocked account, official financial statement or scholarship)
    Note: If you secure your living through a blocked account, please contact us no later than 14 days before your appointment at the telephone number 0441 235-2901 or by e-mail at hochschulservice(at) because you need a certificate from the Hochschulservice for submission to the bank for the opening / renewal of the blocked account. Please note that the bank process of a blocked account may take up to two weeks
  • certificate of matriculation or proof of enrollment for a preparatory language course

We will check these documents immediately and can clarify any existing ambiguities with you before the appointment.

Please bring this documents with you to your appointment:

  • Your valid passport
  • biometrical passport photograph
  • The management fee is usually 80 to 110 euros. . The fee depends on the nature and scope of residence permit.

If you are a short term student, because you are doing a semester abroad, we recommend that you inquire about the possibility of granting a corresponding national visa from the responsible German diplomatic mission.

Employment during the study

Based on your residence permit you can see if and how much you are allowed to work. An additional edition is printed on the additional sheet for your electronic residence permit. Holders of a residence permit for study may work 120 full or 240 half-days a year as dependent persons. In addition, a student side job is allowed. In the first year of study preparation, you are only allowed to work during the semester holiday.

Further Information

The website "Make it in Germany" » gives you lots of useful tips about studying in Germany.

If you have decided to study in Oldenburg, you will receive support from the International Office of the Carl-von-Ossietzky University in Oldenburg » or the International Office od the Jade Hochschule ».