The State Museum for Art and Cultural History in Oldenburg was established after the abdication of the last grand duke of Oldenburg in 1919. The early collection was made up of the former grand duke's picture gallery, the collection of antiquities, the inventories of the Museum of Decorative Arts and the former National Picture Gallery.
Today the collection is placed in three locations. In the Oldenburg Palace there are the historic rooms, the show of decorative arts, regional history and a few Old Master paintings. The permanent exhibition in the Augusteum presents the larger part of the Old Masters collection, while the Prinzenpalais is home for the New Master paintings of the 19th and 20th centuries.
The highlights of the whole collection are the Old Master Picture Gallery, particularly the Italian and Dutch paintings of the 15th to the 18th century, the collection of Johann Heinrich Wilhelm Tischbein, who had the main-part of the palace's classical interior, the collection of decorative arts with exceptional exhibits of the middle-ages and the renaissance era as well as an excellent selection of the Classic Modernism. The focal points of that collection are the Worpsweder Künstlerkolonie (Fritz Mackensen, Heinrich Vogeler, Fritz Overbeck, Otto Modersohn, Paula Modersohn-Becker), paintings by the German Impressionists Corinth, Liebermann and Slevogt as well as the important collection of the Brücke-Expressionism.
Oldenburg Palace (Schloss)